Monday, January 31, 2011

Four Weeks Post Op

I can't believe its been four weeks since my knee replacement.  Some days I feel like I have not made any progress since my last post but that's not really true.  In the last two weeks I have learned to drive a motorized cart at Tom Thumb.  I've done that 3 times and it really is kind of fun.  I was very proud of myself the first time that all displays were still standing when I left.  I've gotten so good at it I think I am probably ready to tackle Walmart.  One week ago the therapist had me try out my cane.  Not a natural act since my first instinct was to hold it in my right hand, the same side as my operated on knee.  No, you must use it on the opposite side.  I have gotten so good at that now too that I rarely use the walker.  Only to go outside for a walk.  And yes, I have made numerous trips to the mailbox and a couple a few houses down the street and back.  I think I may be ready to go to the mailbox with the cane this week.  Yahoo!  I have cooked a few meals in the last few weeks and even folded and put away laundry tonight.  I don't want to push things too far though.  I really am enjoying being waited on and having Rich clean up after all meals.  Not sure how long I can get away with that!

On the downside I am having sleeping issues.  I just can't seem to get comfortable in the recliner or in the bed..  I might have splept a total of 2 hours in the last 2 nights.  I have tried Tylenol PM and painkillers before bed but nothing seems to help.  I have quite a few meditation Podcasts on my IPhone that I will listen to.  Once in a while that will work but not the last 2 nights.  I also have white noise apps but the best one is the ocean sound and you all have to know what reaction I get with that!

During the day I get extremely bored.  Daytime TV is not great but I watch it all day anyway just for the company.  Sad that I know the lineup without looking at a guide.  I had a good knitting project but finished it and really don't need anything else.  I got addicted to the Angry Birds game but have reached the end of the line.  The developers need to add more levels.  I managed to walk around Michaels today looking for a new project but sadly left empty handed.  When my therapist comes tomorrow I will strongly suggest he show me how to climb stairs.  I have a fabulous craft room with any supply imaginable just waiting for me.  So close and yet so far!  That sure would occupy my time. 

Two more weeks before my doctor's post op appointment.  I am sure by then I will even better and am hoping he will clear me to drive.  I am anxious to get back to normal - well better than normal since normal involved a lot of knee pain.  We made arrangements for our 40th anniversary trip this spring - Palm Springs, California.  I have always wanted to go there and have something to really look forward to.  I envision Rich being the one sitting on the bench while I shop til I drop!

No comments:

Post a Comment