Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A New Year - A New Knee - A New Me!

Happy New Year to me! I had my much needed knee replacement surgery on January 3rd.  I worried about it for quite a while but the week between Christmas and New Years I was pretty much a basket case.  I tried not to show it but I spent a lot of time finding hiding spots where I could have a good cry by myself.  It's wasn't like I had any choice since my knee hurt so bad I cried all the time anyway, but I was scared.  Surprisingly the night before surgery I was at ease and had a good night's sleep. 

The big day!  I was at the hospital at 7:45 with surgery scheduled for 9:15.  If I thought I was nervous before that did not compare to that day.  Thankfully they finally gave me some good drugs and wheeled me into surgery.  The last thing I remember was being moved from the bed to the operating table - then nighty night.  About 90 minutes later I remember the nurses yelling (?) at me to wake up.  I don't even remember the ride to my room but somehow that's where I awoke.  Since my greatest fear was dying on the table waking up was quite a relief.  Of course Rich was there and later I remember my minister visiting.  I remained in bed all day and slept pretty good until they started waking me at 12:00, 4:00, 5:00 and 6:00 for various forms of torture. 

The hospital was like being at a resort.  It is a small doctor-owned hospital (affiliated with a larger hospital) in my town.  It has been enlarged recently to 18 beds.  It's absolutely beautiful - all private rooms, beautiful decor, hardwood floors and the best staff ever.  They don't have a kitchen yet so they give you a menu from a local cafe to place your order.  Rich was allowed to also order one meal a day. 

The day after surgery I was made to get up.  The first outing was just a few feet with my walker to get into a chair.  Later I was encouraged to leave the room and actually made it halfway down the hallway.  That evening Jenn, James and the 5 kids came to visit.  A great way to lift your spirits.  They were very well behaved and so interested in everything.  Loved watching the nurse change the bloody drain (what 4 year old wouldn't be impressed with that) and were very impressed that I didn't cry when getting a shot.  They all left with rubber glove balloons courtesy of Pop Pop.  All the staff loved it. 

With mixed feelings I left the hospital on day 4.  It was great to be home but I did miss the country club and all their care.  That was last Thursday.  The visiting nurse and the home therapist came on Friday.  I am doing pretty good - no more pain meds.  Was not able to sleep in bed but do pretty well in recliner.  I actually felt up to going to church on Saturday night.  The was the best night.  Things have gone a little downhill since then.  I am on an aspirin regimen that doesn't seem to agree with my stomach.  Despite having no appetite of course there has been no weight loss.  Therapy has been hard.  Since my visit on Monday I have been really sore.  Today my leg is more swollen than ever and I can barely bend it.  I can still walk though, luckily.  Can't wait for him to come again tomorrow. 

All in all I think I am really doing really well.  I know there will be setbacks.  But every day should get better.   Rich has been a great help and my dog follows every step I take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment