Saturday, March 11, 2017

Creating a Picture Quilt

Since Rich and I retired one of our favorite things to do is travel and on those travels, take pictures.  One day I decided to turn one of my favorite pictures into a quilt.  I did it by just looking at the picture and cutting out pieces of fabric that looked like they would come out looking like my picture. Here is that first project from a picture I took on Kauai in Hawaii.
Here are some of my other projects.  Each is made using a collection of landscape fabrics and fabric scraps cut into big pieces for the background and smaller pieces for the details.

Following are the steps I use to create these pictures.  Keep in mind I have made this up myself, I am not a pro and have not been trained. I have read a few books and looked at some videos for ideas and techniques.

The first step is to find a picture you have taken or really like.  This picture I took in Vancouver following an Alaska trip.   The second, and most important step, is to gather your fabrics.  There are a number of wonderful actual landscape fabrics on the market and I have quite a few.  I fill in with other fabric scraps from my stash.
Next you need to cut your backing fabric and batting.  I used a 10" square for this example and Warm and Natural for the batting.  This will be the base for your project.  Then start with the background fabrics.  I always start with the sky and work my way down.  I use Frixion markers if I need to draw out my pattern since they disappear easily.  Once you have your background fabrics then you can sew them to the backing using a blanket stitch in matching colors.  If you choose this is when you would do any decorative stitching on the background that you want to use.  I quilted the clouds using clear thread.

Then for me this is where the real fun begins.  Now you will fussy cut your detail fabrics and begin layering them onto the background.  I use a glue stick to hold them down and stitch them on using free motion techniques.  I keep cutting, layering and stitching until I get the desired effect.  
The next step is TOTALLY OPTIONAL will probably scare a lot of people.  I like to do a little extra shading with fabric paint to give my picture a little more dimension.  I do water down the paint because I don't want definite dark lines.  But as I said, this step is not necessary, just something I like to do.
Now, this is what the back of your piece will look like.  I personally don't like the look, probably because I always use white bobbin thread.  But if you do,  at this point just add the binding of your choice.  I prefer to cut a piece of background/binding fabric bigger than my piece and use the self-binding technique.  That is definitely a matter of personal preference.  

I hope this has taken some of the mystery out of making a picture quilt.  This piece took less than two hours to create and that included taking all the pictures as I went along.

If you care to see more of my creations check out my crafting Facebook page My Grammy's House and items I have for sale at https://www.etsy.com/shop/lindy71.

No comments:

Post a Comment